Joseph, son of John Perrin | The sale of John Perrin's Maryland land

Joseph Perrin

Joseph Perrin was the youngest son of John Perrin in Washington County, Maryland. As he did not serve in the 1757 militia he would have been born after 1741. Here I can summarize his life in Maryland, and those members of his family who moved to Springfield, Ohio.

Historical Record

Joseph signed a 1766 petition in Frederick County . In 1767 as he purchased 100 acres of land from William Kelley and Mary Kelley for 5 shillings ! Judging from William Kelley's will as quoted earlier, Joseph had married William's daughter Rachel, thus explaining the bargain price for the land.

In 1776 Joseph witnessed George Bond's will ; George had been a member of the Chester County plot  during Cresap's war and had received a land warrant in Maryland in 1738 . I suspect he was an old friend of Charles Higginbotham. Joseph served in the Maryland militia during the Revolutionary War along with Archibald McCoy .

While Joseph had the misfortune of dying without a will in 1785, the government as a result actually recorded the names of his six children (as common law stated that the wife inherited 1/3, and the children 2/3 split equally, of the estate) . Rachel Perrin was in Marsh Hundred for the 1790 census. Son John became the head of household in 1800; this was the last census to list a Perrin family in Washington County. Later court records showed that Rachel died November 20, 1815 .

Children

Joseph's children were likely born in the order given below, in agreement with his estate papers. Additional information about the family was recorded in the Ingram family Bible  or came from cemetery records from Beaver Creek .

Deborah

Deborah was born in 1768 and died in 1826, according to her grave stone. She was buried with the Ingram family .

Catherine

A Catherine Perrin married Benjamin Dorsey of Anne Arundel County, Maryland . The date of the marriage was not given in this secondary source, but it did state the license was in Washington County, Maryland. As official marriage records in that county before 1799 were lost to fire, I imagine the marriage was before then.

Rachel

Rachel married Joseph Ingram  probably before 1796 . Her grave stone stated she was born in 1774 and died in 1831 .

John

John was born in 1778 according to his grave stone . He married Amelia Ingram in 1803 in Washington County, Maryland . He was a supervisor of roads and a constable in Washington County as of May 1804 . Thereafter he moved to Clark County, Ohio.

1855 Springfield township map

Portion of Springfield Township, 1855 (© Clark County Historical Society)

There are three biographical histories from John's family about him The first account comes from a Clark County, Ohio (Springfield) biographical volume; this entry concerns a grandson .

eyeglasses icon

The subject of this sketch is a direct descendant of one of two brothers, John and William Perrin, who were early settlers of Maryland, and he now has in his possession a well-preserved deed to a tract of land in Frederick County, which was dated April, 1763. The next in the direct line of descent was John Perrin, who was born in Hagerstown and there reared to manhood. He married Amelia Ingram, a native of Washington County, Md., and both spent their last years in the Buckeye State, the wife dying in 1847, and the husband in 1848. This John Perrin had paid a visit to Ohio in 1804, making the journey to and fro on horseback, carrying with him a flint lock rifle, which is now carefully preserved by our subject. In 1806 he removed with his family, the journey being made with teams, as was the primitive custom. A large tract of Government land in what is now Springfield Township, Clark County, was purchased, and as there was no lumber to be had, a cabin of round logs was put up as a temporary shelter. This was replaced by a double hewed-log cabin, which at that time was considered a very fine house.

At that time Clark was a part of Champaign County and was but sparsely settled, the greater part of the Territory being owned by the Government and still inhabited by numerous Indians. At Springfield there were but three houses, and Cincinnati, seventy-five miles distant, was the nearest depot for supplies. Wild animals of many kinds were still plentiful, and the life of the settler was attended with many dangers and hardships.

To the worth pioneer couple six children were born, who were named respectively: Edward, Joseph, John, William, Minerva and Emory. Minerva married Samuel Copper. William, who was born January 22, 1815, o the farm now occupied by our subject, was reared and educated here, attending the pioneer schools, which were taught in a log schoolhouse, and as soon as his strength would permit beginning to assist his parents in the various labors which belonged to their life. He remained with them until their death, and in 1849 set up his own household upon the estate, where he continued to reside until called hence March 30, 1890, since which time the estate has been owned by his son, of whom we write.......

And another account regarding the same family begins :

THE JOHN PERRIN FAMILY.

No history of Clark county would be complete without mention of the John Perrin family, one of the oldest of this portion of the state, its representatives having been identified with the growth and upbuilding and with the agricultural, intellectual and moral welfare of the city and county from 1806 down to the present time. The days of chivalry and knighthood in Europe can not furnish more interesting tales than our own pioneer history. Into the wild regions of the unexplored west went brave men whose courage was often called forth not only to meet the conditions of the land as yet uncultivated and of the forests uncut, but also to meet the hostile savages. The land was rich in all natural resources and simply awaited the demands of the white race to yield up its treasures; but the mountains separated Ohio from the older east; its forests were difficult to penetrate, so densely grew the magnificent trees. The establishment of homes in this beautiful region therefore meant sacrifices and hardships, but there were some men brave enough to undertake the task of reclaiming the district for purposes of civilization and to make this one of the productive sections of the county. Taking an active part in this work the representatives of the Perrin family therefore interwove their name inseparably with the history of this region.

The Perrin family is doubtless of French origin, although the immediate ancestors of John Perrin, the first of the name in Ohio, came from England. It is supposed that those who lived in France were driven out of that country at the time of the Catholic persecution: that they came to America and eventually returned to the old world, but did not again go to their native land, locating, instead, in England, whence at an early day representatives of the name sailed for the new world and the family was then established in Maryland, where they purchased land in 1740.

John Perrin, the first to locate in Clark county, Ohio, was born in Washington county, Maryland, November 12, 1778, and there married Amelia Ingram, who was born in the same county September 26, 1778. He was a son of Joseph and Rachel Perrin, who lie side by side in an old burying ground in Hagerstown, Washington county, Maryland...

I imagine that the William Perrin referred to in the first quotation was really William Kelley.

Perrin farmhouse

Perrin farmhouse, Built circa 1850

1875 lithograph of the farm

Perrin farmhouse, from Atlas of Clark County, 1875

John Perrin was on a list of voters in Springfield Township as early as 1808 and was a trustee of the township in 1810 . He purchased 320 acres in section 27 in 1811 . He later purchased all of section 3 as shown on the map on page 114. There his later residence and family cemetery still exist. This family had a continued Springfield presence as farmers and nurserymen well into the twentieth century. There is more detail about this family on the Web.

john perrin died 1848

John Perrin (died 1849) stone, from the Perrin Cemetery

Eleanor

Eleanor's grave stone in Greenmount Cemetery, Springfield, Ohio stated she was born in 1781 near Hagerstown, Maryland and died in 1859 . She married Benjamin Edwards in 1803 in Maryland .

Benjamin was in the 1810 census in Maryland in the Marsh Hundred of Washington County. He first appeared in the Springfield Township, Clark County, Ohio census in 1820 with wife and one child. He was one of the first grand jurors of the township, along with Maddox Fisher . While the children were all gone in the 1850 census, Eleanor and Benjamin then stated they were born in Maryland, and were 67 and 73 years old respectively. Benjamin Edwards' land may be seen in the 1855 map of Springfield shown above, in section 29

Joseph

Joseph was probably born in 1783 according to his grave stone This Joseph Perrin probably witnessed and later proved Archibald McCoy's will in 1804 and 1810, respectively . He became a Deputy Sheriff for Washington County in 1809 .

Joseph Perrin appeared before me the Subscriber a Justice of the Peace in and for the County aforesaid and made oath on the Holy Evangel of Almighty God that he will not for Lucre or malice delay any person or persons applying to him for any Business belonging to the office of Deputy Sheriff of Washington County and that you will not directly or indirectly ask take exact demand or receive from or charge to any person or persons to your own use any fee or record whatsoever for any services you shall do as Deputy Sheriff of the said office and also that in making out of the officers fees you will not willingly or wittingly charge other or higher fees than limited by the act settled[?] or act for the regulation of officers fees -- sworn before Adam Ott.

A series of advertisements in the Maryland Herald and Hagerstown Advertiser in 1808 through 1810 show that Joseph Perrin ran a dry goods store, first with Henry Sweitzer, then with a man named Booth .

Joseph also moved to Ohio. He purchased land in 1817 in Springfield Township, section 29 . This land was probably on Mud Run, as a county history later stated :

About 1820, Joseph Perrin built and operated a sawmill on or near where Engert & Dunkel at present have the ice-pond, west of the Lagonda Pike, and south of the C., S & C. R.R., about five hundred yards southwest from the crossing of those roads. ... In the winter of 1840-41, Samuel and James Barnett purchased of Joseph Perrin, Richard Rodgers and Jeremiah Warder land and water right, and made the first artificial power of any magnitude.

In 1818 Joseph was appointed a Fence Viewer for Springfield Township , and subsequently served as a Clerk for the Township between 1823 and 1826. He was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1820, and served in that position until 1829, when he was succeeded by Ambrose Blount . At some later time in the 1830's he was an Associate Judge for Clark County .

Joseph married Nancy N. Fisher , daughter of prominent early Springfield citizen Maddox Fisher  sometime before the 1820 census. Maddox's will in 1836 listed seven Perrin grandchildren .

Greenmount Cemetery stone

Joseph Perrin stone, Greenmount Cemetery, Springfield

Nancy died in 1842 and Joseph in 1845 . Both were buried at Greenmount Cemetery, Only Joseph's stone still stood in 2010. Son Nelson was Joseph's executor

Nelson Perrin's children were included in Eleanor Edwards' will written in 1854 , confirming that this Joseph Perrin was related to the Joseph Perrin family in Maryland.

Land sales

In Chapter 8 I listed the land tracts patented by John Perrin, Sr. between 1752 and 1766. By summarizing the disposition of these tracts. I can tie up some loose ends regarding John's sons.

Sale Summary

Name Acres Location Disposition Reference
Flint's Chance
50
Little Tonoloway Warrant sold to Joseph Flint, who surveyed and patented the tract November 2, 1754
Rosburgh's Delight
73
Little Tonoloway Sold to Nicholas Saam by John Perrins August 16, 1763
Long Looked For
150
Little Tonoloway Sold to Adam Wickersheim by John Perrin October 26, 1764
Perryn's Fancy
95
Little Tonoloway Sold to Joseph Flint by Edward, John and Joseph Perryn November 13, 1775
Kellam's Advantage
50
Little Tonoloway Sold to John Powell, Jr. by Edward, John and Joseph Perryn November 13, 1775. Assessed to John Powell in 1783
Perryn's Venture
50
near Potomac River above Hancock Sold to John Carlock by Edward, John and Joseph Perryn October 16, 1775. Assessed to John Garlough in 1783
Sink Hole Bottom
100
Murley's Branch Sold to Robert Twigg Jr. by John Perrin April 18, 1768
Mountain Tract
32
Murley's Branch Sold to Nathan Robinett by John Perrin June 27, 1768
Mountain Tract Addition
18
Murley's Branch Sold to Nathan Robinett by John Perrin June 27, 1768
Two Springs
300
Murley's Branch 100 acres sold to Hezekiah Hyatt by John Perrins in March 27, 1769. 100 acres sold to to Cornelius Willson by Edward Perryn, John Perryn and Joseph Perryn on December 23, 1775. 54 acres sold to Edward Wilson by John Peron in 1789. The 1783 tax assessment shows Joseph Lazear, 51 acres of Two Springs
Two Springs Addition
150
Murley's Branch 50 acres sold to Moses Robinett November 23, 1773, by Edward, John and Joseph Perryn. 100 acres sold to George Robinett December 17, 1773. Joseph, son of Nathan Robinett then obtained the first 50 acre tract from John Perron and Rachel, wife of Joseph, deceased, on June 1, 1785
Two Springs 2nd Addition
50
Murley's Branch Sold to John Willson by Edward, John and Joseph Perrin November 23, 1773
Three Springs Head
50
Murley's Branch Sold December 17, 1773 to John Tweeg by Edward, John and Joseph Perrin
Robinett's Lot
50
Murley's Branch Assessed to John Lazear in 1783. Sold to Samuel Denison by John Perrin April 21, 1794
Boiling Spring
62
Murley's Branch No record of sale
Woster [Worcester]
136
Murley's Branch No record of sale
Carr's Vineyard
36
Flintstone Probably assessed to John and Joseph Perrin in 1783. Assessed to John Perrin (probably son of John, Jr.) in 1798. Found delinquent in taxes in 1820; redeemed after auction. Sold by David Fetter and Nancy (Perrin) Fetter to Robert Bennet, June 2, 1838: sale apparently voided after a petition by Eli Perrin in October, 1839, and sold by a trustee to Salithiel Chaney March 21, 1848
Hyett's Hunting Ground
100
Rocky Gorge Assessed to Thomas and William Lazear in 1783. Sold to George Robinett by John Perren September 20, 1788

Little Tonoloway and Lower Potomac

John Perrin's lands in the Little Tonoloway sold earliest. He sold the warrant for Flint's Chance in 1752 . In the 1760s before his death John Perrin sold Rosburgh's Delight  and Long Looked For . The three tracts Perryns Venture , Perryns Fancy  and Kellams Advantage  were sold in the fall of 1775 by the three Perrin brothers. On two of the 1775 deeds Ann, wife of Edward Perrin, relinquished her dower, indicating that Edward Perrin's family was in central Maryland at that time.

The sale of Perryns Venture deserves more attention. It was sold to John Carlock, whose name was probably Garlough according to the 1783 tax assessment . John Garlough was indebted to Perrin in 1769 at the time of his death , yet the deed for Perryns Venture was filed in 1775. To me it seems likely that Garlough took possession of the land before 1769, and he received official title to his land only after paying off his debt.

The timing of the sale of Kellams Advantage is discussed elsewhere.

Murley Branch

Before his death John Perrin sold Sink Hole Bottom , Mountain Tract & Mountain Tract Addition  and a part of Two Springs . In the fall of 1773 the three Perrin brothers sold the Second Addition to Two Springs , Three Springs Head  and portions of Two Springs Addition . Several of these sales corresponded to debts to the John Perrin's estate, namely Robert Twigg Jr. (Sink Hole Bottom), Hezekiah Hyatt (Two Springs), John Willison (Second Addition to Two Springs) and John Twigg (Three Springs Head) .

The 1783 tax assessment identified two other persons living on Murley Branch land; Joseph Lazear (51 acres of Two Springs) and John Lazear (Robnetts Lot, 50 acres) . Both Joseph, Jr..and John Lazear were debtors to John Perrin's estate  and they will receive more discussion in their own section. Neither of them ever received a deed for Murley Branch land, suggesting to me they never paid their debts.

Another portion of Two Springs Addition was sold on June 1, 1785 by

John Perron Junr. the only Surviving son of his father John Perron Senr. Deceased and Rachel Perron Executrix to the Estate of her husband Joseph Perron Deceased who was Executor to his father John Perron Sen. Deceased

Thus this deed confirmed that Joseph Perrin had died by that date.

The remaining Murley Branch tracts were sold only by John Perrin. Another portion of Two Springs, and Robinetts Lot, were sold in 1789 and 1794 respecitvely. These tracts corresponded to the land for which the Lazear brothers were assessed in 1783. For the first deed the grantor is described as

This Indenture made twentieth day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty eight Between John Peron of Coalerain Township in the State of Pennsylvania of the one part and Edward Wilson of Washington County in the State of Maryland of the Other part Witnesseth that the said John Peron being a son of the Deceased John Peron last will and testement was that his three sons Edward Peron John Peron & Joseph Peron should be his Executors and two of the Executors which is Edward Peron and Joseph Peron is Deceased and only John Peron is left to sell and Convey all the lands that belonging to the deceased John Peron ...

The second deed referred simply to John Perrin "of Bedford County, Pennsylvania, farmer". The language in these deeds explicitly identified the John Perrin in Bedford County as John Perrin, Sr.'s son.

Memoirs later written by Hillary Willison claimed that some of Two Springs was deeded to Cornelius Willison on December 23, 1775 . John Perrin's estate contained a substantial debt from Cornelius Willison . As there was no recorded land sale to Cornelius, it may be that the document Hillary saw was a provisional deed whose consummation depended upon the payment of this debt.

There is no record of a sale for Woster or Boiling Spring. In Chapter 8 I placed the surveys for both tracts on hilly land east of Murley Branch, so it seems that both tracts were not attractive for settlement and the patents ultimately defaulted.

Other western Maryland tracts

Hyetts Hunting Ground, located in Rocky Gorge west of Martin's Mountain, was assessed to Thomas and William Lazear in 1783 . John Perren sold it in 1788 , the language in this deed was the same as for the Two Springs sale quoted above.

Carrs Vineyard was assessed to John and Joseph Perrin in 1783 . In 1798 it was assessed to John Perrin, probably John, Jr.'s son . Allegany County found it delinquent in taxes in 1820; their records stated it was redeemed after auction . David Fetter and Nancy (Perrin) Fetter tried to sell it to Robert Bennet in 1838 , but the sale was apparently voided after a petition by Eli Perrin in October 1839. This tract was finally sold by a trustee appointed by Allegany County on March 21, 1848 to Salithiel Chaney .

Perrin's Adventure

Immediately following John Perrin's death in 1769 it is not clear who lived on his original land in Marsh Creek. But the 1790 census showed that Joseph Perrin's family lived there and not on the land sold to Joseph Perrin by William Kelley.

Joseph Perrin sold two acres of Perrins Adventure to Christian Welty in 1782 . In October, 1785 John Perrin purchased from William Perrin, "son of Edward Perrin of Washington County, deceased" 74 acres, or one third, of Perrins Adventure . John later that week sold the eastern third of Perrins Adventure in three separate parcels to Christian, Jacob and John Welty .

In 1806 John Perrin, the son of Joseph and Rachel, made an agreement with Thomas Helm concerning the overlap of the resurveys for Charlemount and Perrins Adventure .

Following that Rachel Perrin formally relinquished her dower on the property . Finally John sold the remainder of Perrin's Adventure, 153 acres, to Samuel Summey , with a mortgage made out to John and Rachel Perrin . The timing of these transactions agrees with the biographical history for John above.

Samuel Summey did not pay his mortgage, and following the death of his mother Rachel John sued the Summey family , being represented by

Otho Lawrence Esquire his solicitor into the state of Marylands

The trial included testimony from Joseph Ingram, John's brother-in-law. The court ruled to sell the property in a sheriff's sale, thereby ending the Perrin presence in central Maryland.